Copper kitchen sinks are the choice of many people, but we often find that new copper sink users have some queries about their use. The main doubt they get in mind is its durability and other essential things to know before using a copper-made product.
A new user needs to know about its durability, scratch test, perfection, and usage instruction. Don’t worry if you don’t know these crucial things about copper sinks. We had described it in this ultimate guide.
Let’s dive into the guide!
Table of Contents
Here’s Why Do Copper Kitchen Sinks Scratch Easily:
Copper is a sensitive material that gets scratched easily; thus, the copper-made kitchen sinks scratch quickly, but they are easy to recycle. The material impacts most in this case, but a person will not likely get quickly scratches on its sink if they use high-quality copper sinks in the kitchen.
What Are The Chances Of Copper Sink Scratching?
Washing scratchy type things in the sink, using steel wool for cleaning the sink, and Not taking care of the sink are three main changes and reasons for copper sinks scratching. Users need to prevent using high scratchy material-made things to wash and use in the kitchen.
If you use steel wool to wash some dishes, make sure steel wool is not in contact with the copper sink because it will rub the sink surface if you’re washing dishes with steel wool, and the steel wool is also rubbing with the sink. Placing scratchy type material made dishes and other things are common reasons to increase chances of scratching on the copper sink.
We need to make sure we are using a copper sink in the right way to make it more durable and scratch-free for many years. Resistant to rust and corrosion type qualities in copper sinks make them more unique from other types of sinks material varieties.
The beauty of copper sinks makes them different from other material-made kitchen sinks; that’s the main reason, not any copper sink user likes scratches on copper-made sinks.
If you don’t know some proven tips to protect copper sinks from scratches, you’re going to learn them in the next section. The look design easy usage with low maintenance is some popular facts about their widespread demand in house owners.
Ways To Protect Copper Kitchen Sinks from Scratches:
As we discussed earlier, if a kitchen owner knows how to prevent scratches on sensitive material-made things, it makes it easy for kitchen owners to protect copper kitchen sinks from scratches. Read the following section carefully to know these protection ways.
Here Are Proven Ways To Protect a Copper Sink From Scratches:
- Avoid putting Scratchy Things in the Sink: The copper material is susceptible. If you put something scratchy on a copper-made surface, you will see some scratches easily on the surface. A good recommendation is to avoid scratching things on copper surfaces.
- Don’t Choose Steel Wool for Cleaning: Experts recommend that you not use Steel Wool to wash a copper sink. Steel wool is a scratchy thing that causes scratches and marks.
- Too many dishes into One Sink: Don’t Put Many dishes in a Sink for washing simultaneously. Putting too many things to soak in the copper sink is not a great idea. Too many things increase the chances of scratches.
- Take A Single Dish At One Time: Wash dishes one by One in the Sink. Use slow movement to wash dishes one by one to focus.
- Try To Disappear Old Scratches: Use Technique for Disappearing Aged scratches: Use the Soapy water with Dampen, a piece of fine-grade silicon carbide paper for disappearing scratches.
All the ways mentioned above are straightforward to follow. We recommend you start following them one by one, so you will not become bored by following these ways and methods.
The beauty of copper sinks shows in their shine; if there is no scratch on its body, you will see a proper shiny surface in the Sink. But what if you already have blemishes on your Sink, which is made of copper material? In the next section, we described all the best tips to fix a scratched copper sink.
How To Fix A Scratched Copper Sink?
Copper sink lovers and users want a beautiful shine on the sink body. No one wants to have a scratched copper sink that looks old and dirty over time. We need to fix scratches with a proven technique to give back a beautiful look to our copper sink. If you’re willing to put effort into fixing it, you will get great results in the end. Clean, repolish and shine are three parts of fixing or repairing a copper sink.
We need Some products for cleaning and repolishing the Sink to bring the shine back.
Products Required During Fixing: Darkening, M38(50%), Brown Patina Stain, Clear guard Stain. Tape.
Here are Steps To Fix A Scratched Copper Sink:
- Take Tape and Tape off around the sink area to protect unwanted sites from getting products on it.
- Cover the handles as well with Tape or polythene. It’s important to seal everything around the edge.
- Now take the sculpin and the veil metal cleaner. You can also use dish soap or alcohol, which works pretty well.
- Use Scotch Brite pad, sculpting a metal cleaner and giving it a good old scrub.
- Neutralize it with water and clean it with a bit of hand scrub.
- Now use darkening to give off a grayish-brown copper sink, use a scotch Brite pad and rub it on the Sink.
- Dry Sink and use steel wool and rub it on the Sink; we dry Sink to see its little darker spots.
- Now completely fogged up everything and coated with a little bit of brown patina.
- Use clear grand and provide at least three coats.
- Remove Tape from around edges and wash it.
- Now, you have a shiny copper sink at the end!
Are Copper Kitchen Sinks A Good Idea?
If you’re planning to invest in a copper kitchen sink, you need to know its pros and cons so that you will make the right decision with your great thinking. The popularity of Copper made sinks is always in modern and traditional kitchen interiors. The main reason people think “are copper kitchen sinks a good idea?” is because of the high price, some myths, and they don’t know the pros effectively.
Copper kitchen sinks are more durable than stainless sinks. They are specially made for extended use to create beauty, create a metal designy look into the kitchen, have stunning addition, are naturally antimicrobial, etc. This means copper sinks are a good idea for the kitchen in every design. Peoples have myths that copper kitchen sinks are not in style like outdated double kitchen sinks.
Care, more maintenance than other material-made sinks, and high price are paramount factors in identifying whether investing in a copper sink is worth it. These types of sinks need more care than other material-made sinks because you will need to avoid developing a patina (a green film) over time by taking care of it.
On the other hand, Copper made sinks are more expensive than other sinks. The main reason these sinks are costly is that the copper material charges higher than stainless steel. It’s a long-lasting material that has increased demand for manufacturing durability usage products for homes and kitchens. You will find these sinks in outdoor kitchens and also in royal-type villas.
During installation, if Copper sinks, you need a professional plumber. A person cannot install a copper sink if they have no plumber skills, and it means you also need to have a balance for paying to your hired plumber.
Is Copper a Good Material for a Kitchen Sink?
Copper is a good material for a kitchen sink in many ways. Copper material is anti-bacterial, long-lasting, easily fits every type of space, and durable for lifetime use. Its material look creates different vibes than stainless steel material.
You can use a copper sink in every type of kitchen design; space does not matter in the suitability of its use. All kinds of color space are suitable for Copper made things, and it means you can use them in every type of space condition. Copper kitchen sink adds value to the kitchen because they are more expensive than other types of sinks.
Copper-made kitchen sinks are not for everyone, but people who love them are hard to beat in any offer; if you’re a lover of copper material, then why not invest in a copper sink.
As we know Copper made things are more expensive, we need to have, more budget for purchasing a Copper made product. Thus the courage for Copper, a high price to pay, and care are some main factors to look for before investing in a copper sink. A patina ( a green type film) develops overtime on Copper if we don’t pay time to care.
Copper loses its bright shine over time, and on the other hand, it’s an expensive material. Your personal choice matters most while deciding to purchase a copper material kitchen sink for your house.