Sometimes a well-working washer can face spinning problems. Once it won’t spin, it stops you from washing clothes. If your GE washer won’t spin with a heavy load, it could be caused due to some hardware failures.
However, you can fix it yourself after following this guide. Make sure you cannot force the appliance to spin if it does not spring with a heavy load as it can damage some parts. But, you can reuse it, once the problem is resolved.
GE washers have two belts on the bottom, one is the driver and the other is the pump belt. When drive belts are damaged, for example when they become dry and shiny, they lose their stiffness. When the motor runs, a worn drive belt fails to rotate the heavy drum. Apart from this, you should also check the motor springs.
Let’s dive into the guide to fix this issue.
Table of Contents
Why won’t the GE Washer Spin Heavy Loads?
When the washer starts to make a weak spin, it means it is dealing with a weakened or hardware failure. You may think the motor is unworking, but that is not the true case. Washers do not have only a single element to rotate the washing drum.
A Group of several parts rotates the basket, in this group belts, pulleys, motors, and springs work together to spin the washer. In case one of any elements from this group goes bad, it causes weak or no spin.
Heavy loads generate more pressure and burden on the rotating internal parts located at the bottom of the drum.
If the washer is not spinning only with heavy loads, it means the drive belt, or spring of the motor has some issue. A dry and glazed belt can slip on the pulley and won’t spin the washer with heavy loads.
Small or light loads don’t create much weight on the drum and don’t make a burden on the drive belt. In simple words, a glazed and dry belt doesn’t slip on the pulleys. Heavy loads can push the washing basket down if the drum pulley has a poor-quality drive belt.
The washing machine motor has springs that adjust the motor and make the adjustment of motor position when it faces stretching. If this spring goes bad, they fail to hold the motor in its actual position. This will also spin failure when the washer spins with a heavy load.
You have to manually check for both of these parts manually. We cannot see them without getting the panels off.
How to Fix a GE Washer that won’t Spin with Heavy Loads?
Now you know what causes a washer to not spin with a heavy load, it is time to fix this issue. A screwdriver is required to investigate the fault, and we will get a new part to replace if required after the investigation.
You can also use this procedure for other companies’ washers as spinning machines are the same. This procedure would take 15 to 25 minutes to fix the issue.
Here’s how to fix a washer that won’t spin with heavy loads:
- Must unplug the washer before you start.
- Shut off both inlet hose’s water supply as we will tip the machine back next.
- Now, carefully and slowly tip the washer back to look underneath to find the problem.
- You can put a block or a jack stand under the washer, thus it will not fall forward on you (necessary for safety).
- Now, look underneath, there are pulleys, two belts, and other components.
- First, check the status of the drive belt. The drive belt makes the connection between the drum pulley and the motor pulley. Test if the drive belt is loose, dry, or glazed, you must check for cuts or damage on the belt.
- You should also remove the front panel to access and check the springs of the motor. Just open the screws holding the panel. Consider collecting all the off parts in one place.
- Hold the motor and see how the springs are moving and test the grip of the motor on them. If the springs seem fine, remove the drive belt. Once you move the motor toward the tumbler direction, the belt will automatically slip and get removed from the pulleys.
- There is a number written on the belt, get a new similar drive belt according to the number.
- Once you have the same drive belt, put it on the motor pulley and tumbler. To fit the new belt there, just follow the same steps which you did before to remove the belt.
- Assemble the front panel back and take the washer on the floor as it was. Test the spin with a heavy load, now your washer is successfully working well again with heavy loads.
GE Washer not Spinning and Making a Noise?
This is a common spin-related problem that many washer users reported. If the washer is not spinning, this means you cannot wash the clothes and go looking for what causes it.
Don’t panic when it happens as it is a hardware-related issue that requires just the repair. First, you know that it is not draining or inlet hoses-related issues that prevent the washer from making any spin at all.
If your washer is not spinning and making a noise, this means the drive belt or motor base spring is damaged. As these are located inside the device, you have to remove the front panel to see whether it’s a spring issue or a drive belt.
If the no spring is broken or damaged, you have to look underneath the washing machine. Tip the washer back and put something that will prevent it from falling forward.
Keep an eye on the drive belt, if you find it damaged, dry and glazed, consider replacing it. You can find a serial number on the belt that explains the size and model number.
You can get the new drive belt from any third-party store or also from the manufacturer. Fit the new drive belt there on Tumblr and the motor pulley to fix this problem.
Once it is done, the washer will start to spin again without any noise.